(TORONTO, January 4, 2017) Nearly 20,000 more Canadians switched to hybrid vehicles in 2016 and this helped fuel overall
annual sales growth of 4.2% for Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI).
TCI is reporting its best year ever for hybrid sales in 2016, with a total of 19,787 units sold, up 45.2% compared to last year.
Led by the RAV4 hybrid, Toyota brand hybrid sales have more than doubled compared to 2015, with 17,812 vehicles sold, and a 54.2% increase.
A Year at a Glance
TCI sold a total of 217,792 Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicles in 2016, up 4.2% compared to last year. It was the second-best sales year ever for TCI, led by an annual sales record for trucks, with 128,672 units sold, up 10.8%.
The Toyota division (including Scion) reported sales of 195,283 units, up 4.4% compared to 2015, including the best year ever for Toyota brand truck sales with 112,931, up 10.8% compared to last year.
Lexus also established its best sales year ever with a total of 22,509 luxury vehicles sold, up 2.2% compared to 2015. Lexus brand trucks, reported a best year ever with sales of 15,741 units sold, an increase of 10.9%.
Additional 2016 Highlights
- RAV4 sales, 49,103, up 16.2% (new annual record)
- Highlander sales, 12,964, up 24.5% (new annual record)
- Tacoma sales, 12,618, up 7.2% (new annual record)
- RX sales, 8,147, up 15.3% (2nd best year)
- Prius C sales, 3,135, up 3.5% (new annual record)
TCI December Sales Highlights
- Overall TCI sales, 13,688 units, up 4.5%
- TCI trucks, 9,156 units, up 7.6% (new December record)
- TCI hybrids, 1,367 units, up 86.7% (new December record)
- Toyota division, 11,943 units, up 4.5%
- Toyota trucks, 7,864 units, up 7.5% (new December record)
- Lexus division, 1,745 units, up 4.6% (new December record)
- Lexus trucks, 1,292 units, up 8.6% (new December record)